LOVE is Popping Up All Over Virginia, and now is your chance to be a part of it!
The LOVEworks program is a state-wide branding initiative designed to promote travel in Virginia and strengthen awareness of the “Virginia is for Lovers” message. It’s easy to see why this message has been the state slogan for nearly 50 years; from the coast to the mountains and every small town or bustling city in between, you are bound to find something to fall in love with in Virginia.
In an effort to extend the brand message – and after seeing the popularity of the LOVE signs created at Welcome Centers around the Commonwealth – Virginia Tourism established the LOVEwork Reimbursement program in 2013. The program was a success, with 16 LOVEworks created in the first year and travelers of all ages interacting with the structures every day. A second LOVEwork Reimbursement fund was opened in 2014 and has remained open since, and nearly 100 LOVEworks have been built around the Commonwealth.
The LOVEworks have become special places, not only for local communities, but also for travelers. People are drawn to the LOVE letters and often choose them as backdrops for special occasions such as engagements, family photos, memorable road trips and more!
The LOVEworks program is a great way for local communities to leverage the brand strength of Virginia is for Lovers to promote their own messages and unique destinations. For example, Waynesboro created a river-themed LOVEwork in a local park to strengthen their city’s brand as an ideal hub for outdoor recreation. Similarly, Harrisonburg created their own LOVEwork to provide an interactive representation of their community strengths: diverse ethnic backgrounds; rich agriculture; outdoor recreation and cycling; and a vibrant arts scene. Visit Virginia.org/LOVE to see more creative ideas from around the Commonwealth!
How to apply:
- Fill out and submit an application
- please include your plans for design, usage, placement, unveiling, media events, marketing and messaging
- All applications will be received and reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Projects will be reviewed and approved by VTC and approved applicants will be notified by email.
- After receiving approval from VTC, applicants can begin building their LOVEwork.
- To be reimbursed, applicants must submit copies of invoices and proof of payment for each vendor used. Applicants must also submit proof of payment for any costs related to materials. Any such reimbursements are limited to $1,500.
Not quite ready to commit?
Test LOVE in your destination by renting a VTC LOVEwork to put on display for a period of time. Find out more here.