Eligible & Ineligible Expenses
The purpose of the Sports Marketing Incentive Program is to help ease the financial burden destinations or venues experience when they host competitive sporting events, as well as, incentivize sports rights holders to bring events that are beneficial to Virginia’s economy.
The needs and priorities will be different for each sporting event, so it is imperative to quickly begin planning discussions so you can maximize the use of these funds.
All expenses should be used to support economic recovery from the COVID pandemic or the resulting negative economic effects.
Documentation: No matter how you choose to use the funding, documentation of any decision-making will be key. Receipts or paid invoices will be required for reimbursement.
A copy of the RFP/Bid and the signed contract will be required. Contracts signed prior to December 7, 2021 do not qualify. Event contracts MUST be signed and submitted no later than December 31, 2022 and the event MUST take place no later than June 30, 2024.
These lists are extensive and represent the most common types of expenses, but they are not all-inclusive. Even though an item may be found in a list, it does not guarantee reimbursement. If there is a question about eligible items, please contact Horne at [email protected].
- Fees for Officials for contracted event
- Officials travel/housing for event
- Site/venue rental usage fees
- Rental of furniture, fixtures or equipment (i.e. portable toilets, fencing, sport court flooring, stage, chairs, tables etc.)
- Contracted security or traffic services
- Event-specific signage
- Event-specific printed marketing materials
- Event-specific paid advertising/media buys to promote event
- Event production and technical expense
- Rights / Sanction / Bid Fees (only for successful bids awarded to the destination)
- Local Permit fees
- Sports rights holders site visit travel/hotel costs after contract signed for purposes of planning the event in destination/venue
- AV rental and/or services for sound system/lighting/streaming
- Wifi/Internet fees in meeting room/venue, sports venue and/or hotel guest rooms – complimentary or % discount
- Event insurance
- Transportation/Shuttling costs between venue and hotels
- Discount on F&B and/or complimentary meal (no alcohol)
- Complimentary or discounted parking at venue
- Charges for room set-up changes
- Box storage and shipping and receiving fees
- Upgrades for VIPs or complimentary suites for VIPs
- Resort fees for guests at host hotels
- Service fees
- Exhibit costs – pipe & drape, table and chairs
- Welcome bags and small gift(s) for athletes, VIPs or event staff
- ARPA funds must be used for New events geared at increasing visitation. ARPA funding cannot be used to supplant or replace an organization’s existing tourism funding commitment for existing budgets, marketing and/or staffing
- Sports Rights Holder entertainment or client events
- Site visits prior to contracting event
- Non-refundable bid fees when destination/venue is not awarded the event
- Funds to advertise their incentive program
- Renovations or building permanent structures at facility for event
- Expenses from an event that was contracted prior to December 7, 2021
- General operating or administrative expenses (travel reimbursement, salaries, maintenance etc)
- Travel cost to solicit event
- Purchase of permanent equipment
- Monetary or non-monetary awards (trophies, medals, etc)
- Printed programs which solicit advertising
- Purchase or production of items for resale
- Ads or content that appear on a political or unsavory website or publication, determined at the discretion of VTC
- Personal Protective Equipment products
- Purchase of alcohol for meetings, events, sponsorships, etc.
- Programs that promote and market cannabis will not qualify.