Performs intermediate administrative work establishing and maintaining communications with a variety of groups, individuals and commissions, developing and assisting in promotion of tourism products, marketing the County’s attractions, developing and maintaining a marketing plan, attending events, and related work as apparent or assigned.
- Facilitates the development, planning, organization and implementation of tourism programs for the County in coordination with Towns and other localities.
- Implements and updates the Tourism Plan; works closely with communities to enhance existing tourism products and develop new products.
- Establishes and maintains ongoing communication with government, business, civic and cultural institution leaders, convention and event planners and the local tourism industry.
- Works with State and regional tourism agencies and recreation departments to advertise the area and promote special events.
- Develops and raises funds for special events.
- Prepares and submits applications for external funding including grant writing.
- Develops and implements the annual operating and marketing plan to promote the County to local, State, regional, national and international audiences.
- Prepares and administers marketing programs; develops and places advertisements promoting the area; speaks at various community and civic organizations, events and meetings.
- Directs the preparation of and maintains the department’s annual budget; monitors expenditures; oversees the creation of financial and annual audit reports.
- Oversee and coordinate tourism volunteer efforts.
Qualifications: Under minimal supervision, performs highly responsible administrative and marketing duties for Mecklenburg County. Work involves the marketing of Mecklenburg County to foster a good public image and promote travel/tourism and tourism product development within the County. This includes continuing or creating advertising campaigns for implementation in, but not limited to, print, social media, or digital marketing channels. Work also involves collaborating with neighboring counties, towns, and states. The Coordinator is responsible for meeting with business and civic leaders, meeting with the general public, tour operators, meeting planners, and a variety of groups and commissions. The Coordinator prepares the annual budget for the department, initiates and approves expenditures, and develops the departmental annual report on tourism. The Coordinator will also write grant applications for funding. The Coordinator must exercise considerable tact and courtesy in frequent contact with business leaders, tourism industry professionals, industrial representatives, government officials, and the general public. The Coordinator will report to the Economic Development Director.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major coursework in business administration, Marketing, Tourism, or related field and a minimum of 3 years of experience in the field of tourism promotion, marketing, and product development are expected. Grant writing experience is also necessary. Salary is negotiable based on experience.
Employment applications and a complete job description may be obtained from:
Office of the County Administrator
Goode Bank Building
350 Washington Street
Boydton, Virginia 23917
Between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00PM, Monday-Friday
Applications and resumes must be returned to:
Chairman, Personnel Committee
Board of Supervisors
Mecklenburg County, Virginia
PO Box 307
Boydton, Virginia 23917
Those applicants meeting the qualifications outlined above will be notified in writing of the date, time, and place for an interview.
Mecklenburg County is an equal opportunity employer.
Department of Parks and Recreation
Find open jobs on the DCR twitter account @VirginiaDCRJobs